Monday, March 10, 2008

Finally! The recipe!

Okay, I'm finally going to post that recipe I was talking about last week. Sorry it's taken me so long. I honestly, haven't had much desire to sit at the computer and blog. I've been downright lazy the past three days or so. I don't know if I'm fighting something but I've been plain wore out. In fact, I'm shocked I didn't take a nap today. Anywho- here is the recipe. ~If you all haven't noticed I LOVE,LOVE, LOVE Mexican food! I was raised on eating tacos the authentic way- with fried corn tortillas, refried beans and charizo (Mexican sausage). No, we do not have a Mexican heritage (you could see that just by looking at me...). My mom had dated a Latino for awhile ( when she was pretty young- a long time ago) and thanks to him we have some yummy, authentic recipes...yums-su-yums!

Mexican Lasagna
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 onion-chopped
1 (16 oz.) can chopped tomatoes
1 (10 oz.) can enchilada sauce (red)
1 (2 1/2 oz) can chopped black olives
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 cup small curd cottage cheese
1 egg
1 pound Monterey jack cheese
12 corn tortillas
1/4 cup veg. oil (if you choose to fry your tortillas first)
1 1/2 cups corn chips, crushed
1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese





Take the 1 1/2 pound ground beef ( I only used 1 lb) and brown with the onion. (Is it just me or does anyone else like the smell of meat cooking- especially beef?)

Once your meat is browned, drain. Put in back in the pan and add, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, black olives, salt, garlic powder and pepper. Let simmer for approximately 30 minutes.

While your meat mixture is simmering mix the cottage cheese and egg together. (Austin mixed mine for me. My kids love helping me in the kitchen!)

Layer in this order- meat mixture, corn tortillas (I cut mine in half), meat mixture, cottage cheese mixture, cheese, corn tortillas, meat mixture, cottage cheese mixture, cheese, crushed chips, and then your chedder cheese. Now you're ready for the oven...

Bake in a 350 degree oven for approximately 30 minutes and wah-la- enjoy! This made a good-sized 9x13 pan full and Tim and I polished it off in 2 nights! Oh, yes, Noah ate 3 helpings too! =P This stuff is seriously good!(Excuse the poor lighting. It's just my kitchen. It's fluorescent lighting and I strongly dislike it! It's horrible for taking pictures...just horrible!)

4 comments:

Brittany said...

Ohh looks good! :) I might make this for a mommy who just had a baby, and I am taking her a meal this week. I know she likes Mexi food, so I bet she'd love this!

JujuBoo said...

Awesome recipe. We LOVE
Mexican here too!!

Yep, I found some blinkie! I was having a heck of a time because I had no idea what they were called. I guess when I found them I went a little overboard. I LOVE them! :)

jesnicole said...

YUMMY!!! LOVE MEXICAN FOOD!

Kathryn said...

Oh it looks so good! Thank you!