Thursday, January 7, 2010

So Are You Going to Keep Trying For a Girl?!


How do I respond to this? I get it often...so,so often. Almost every time we're out. I get asked by strangers, family and friends. I never know how to respond or what to say. Do we want a girl? I guess it would be nice to experience having a daughter. Would I be upset if we never had a girl? Probably not. Part of me wants to have a daughter and part me loves being a mother to all boys. Boys are wonderful- just wonderful. Yes, they're active and sometimes destructive but oh....there is just something about boys- especially baby boys. Any one of my boys can look at me a certain way and it just makes my heart melt. I have been so excited with each one of my pregnancies when we found out we were going to be having another boy. This is one of my dreams- being a momma to all boys. Each one of them is so precious, unique and all boy! They're rough and tumble and loud but they're loads of fun! Our house is full of testosterone and energy! It's full of sword-fighting, gun-shooting, car sounds, bodily noises, body slamming, doors banging, cowboy hat and boot-wearing, whooping and hollering and lots of eating! I often scratch my head and wonder why God blessed me with such beautiful boys. I feel so unworthy. What privilege, honor and responsibility. So, yes, we would like to pray for a girl next time. No, we won't be upset if we have another boy. No, we are not stopping based on when or if we get a girl. (We will stop when we feel the Lord tells us to stop.) And no, I'm not making an announcement. If God sees fit to only give us boys then I will embrace my role as mother to all boys. For now though- I wouldn't have it any other way.

7 comments:

Kat said...

I really DESPISE that question. I used to get it all the time. Now I get assumptions that we are done having kids because we "finally" got a girl. That makes me mad too.
I still haven't really figured out a proper response.
Maybe respond, "Why would I do that? Are girls better?" I don't know. I wish you luck. :)

mrs boo radley said...

Thanks for sharing your heart. You're a lovely mama to boys. How blessed.

Melissa: Mother to 3 Little Sprouts said...

I too despise that question! Dont they know we feel blessed no matter what it is! People are so strange. I did get a girl but now everyone says, so you are done?? It is always something!

Mama2four said...

Speaking of having alot of boys, can I just have Grant man? Please??? I'll give him back eventually. Like, when he's 18. He is so stinkin' cute, I just want to pick him up and smother him with kisses all over. And keep him. Forever and ever. Obviously people think that you have enough boys, so you can stand to give Grant to me. I love me some blue eyed baby boy! Or, since you need a girl, according to everyone's opinions, how about we swap? But wait, then I'd have to give up one of my girls. Hmmm... how about you just Grant to me? That'll work. Forget the swapping thing. I'll just take kissable little guy. Just let me know. love ya, Cass

Mama2four said...

And obviously I am so blinded by my love for the little guy that I forgot to proofread my comment for grammatical errors. Oh well, that's just what he does to me.

My Life With Boys said...

Ha,ha, Cassie I thought you were some crazed woman from blog land (you usually aren't signed in)! I was wondering why someone would want my Grant man so bad- lol! It made sense when I figured out who you were! And no, you can not have him. ;-)

Mama2four said...

Meanie. Fine. Then you can't have one of my girls, and people will have to just keep asking ignorant things. So there. ~Cass
(and who says I am not a deranged blog land stalker???)